What is maximising your income?
It’s looking at extra income from available sources and trying to increase your household income. This may help and support you in a variety of situations. For example, a change in circumstances, relationship breakdown, loss of employment etc.
How can I maximise my income?
You can maximise your income by looking at alternative sources:
- Checking you are receiving all benefits you may be entitled to
- Checking your wage slip to make sure you are receiving the correct income and paying the correct tax
- To look at alternative sources of help i.e. Charities, renting a room, child maintenance
- Take a workshop that helps you understand your money and how to save
You might be entitled to help with benefits. For example, you may be entitled to some help from Universal Credit. If you or anyone in your household has a health condition and/or disability you may be entitled to:
- Personal Independence Payment
- Disability Living Allowance for Children
- Attendance Allowance
To find out if you may be entitled to benefit, you can undertake a benefit calculation by using online calculators, for example www.turn2us.org.uk
Council Tax Support
This is an arrangement to help you pay your Council Tax. The amount you may be entitled to depends on your income and your personal circumstances. You can apply online for an application
Discretionary Housing Payment
This is an additional and short-term payment. The payment may be able to help towards shortfall of rent, help with deposit and or rent in advance. You can only apply for this if you receive Housing Benefit or Housing Element of Universal Credit.
You can apply online via the Portsmouth City Council website Discretionary housing payments – Portsmouth City Council. or contacting Revenues and Benefits on 023 9283 4556.